Saturday 22 July 2006

Journal of Fluid Mechanics 50th

It was the 50th anniversary of the Journal of Fluid Mechanics today and the Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics department to which I belong had a celebration including quite a lot of champagne. I lift up my glass to them and dedicate this photo to the continued success of the journal.

I have a large version of this up in the common room of the building which is shared with some fluid dynamicists. I often get questions from them and their visitors about whether it is a real photo, or maybe I've been a bit clever with computer rendering or Photoshop. In fact, it's one of my earliest photos, when I was just getting into photography. To me, the photo invokes a connotation of black holes and gravity waves, ripples in space-time. The relationship isn't so far fetched, acoustic black holes have been proposed as systems in which to test general relativistic predictions on the Earth.

No comments: